Tuesday, May 8, 2012

It doesn’t matter if a cat is black or white

It doesn’t matter if a cat is black or white
By: Gina Yoryet Román
May 8, 2012

“The less makeup you smear on my face the better, whatever you do, NO mascara at all and please avoid making me reflect a circus clown because I want my skin to be able to breathe!” I emphasized this phrase at every event I worked at as a demo girl for years.

 It may have been contradicting for me to imply that because modeling is very demanding and our image has to always be flawless even if that means hiding behind coats of a plastic like substance.

The principle of keeping a low profile applies in every aspect of my life as I’ve never been one to get people’s attention only for the mere fact of pretending to be god’s gift. Either my body or my face has been a disposable instrument to get my way just because I felt like it. Ever since I was 16 when I got my first job, I’ve worked day by day to get what I want and reached my personal goals within the set time frame.

Scandalous fragrances, provocative or revealing clothes, high stilettos aren’t elements to be kept in my closet or drawers. Out of control long nails, tapping my shoes loudly, and expressing myself rather gaily don’t go well with me in the least. Social networks such as facebook, myspace or gossip environments don’t interest me in the least – I do confess that I’ve been part of some social health and fitness and business networks but everything within a reason.

Spending the least time possible making connections is what’s worked for me. My personal life belongs to me so I am very selfish with it, most people know very little about me. With this, it doesn’t mean that I am hiding something, it’s like I tell someone when they want to snoop in my privacy. “Do you really want to know more about me? Google me! It is very simple, writing, health and fitness and obtaining knowledge are the most descriptive adjectives of the woman I am.”

For some reason, abundance in a negative, superficial and materialistic aspect to catch people’s eye has always stirred anxiety deep down. Going incognito makes life a lot simpler for me, that explains why I’ve always dreaded public speaking. LOL! That doesn’t mean that I have the most minimal desire to conceal my face behind a mask made out of layers of makeup. I am used to confronting the world “a cara limpia,” – being me because that defines the person I am.

Pretending to be someone else will never work out because eventually the real me will emerge so why go that direction? After all, it is not the brand of my shoes, the price of my clothes, the diamonds I carry, the trips that I take, the expensive meals I may splurge on, the places I visit, the “gente bien,” - high class people I am acquainted with, where I live, the surgeries I get, or whether I am up to date with technology, the defining factors of my essence. Outer beauty is only temporary and will sooner or later wither, all the material objects I possess – or better said, all of that I covet and feeds my ambition, will be left behind when I part. When I am long gone I will not be given the chance to pack, therefore, I will be left empty handed, all my precious belongings will no longer have any value to me.

On the other hand, my knowledge will be alive and fed and it will be with me until I cease to exist. And in the long run when I get ready to check out, my achievements will have brought a greater self fulfillment than my vanity, my makeup, my expensive shoes and brand clothes and handbags. It is more so like this: Outer aspect is only an abstract idea created by our imagination.

“Keep a cool head and maintain a low profile. Never take the lead - but aim to do something big.”

“It doesn’t matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice - your looks don’t really matter, what’s of much higher importance is how you do things and how you think and work.” Deng Xiaoping - a Chinese politician, statesman, and diplomat who led China towards a market economy more than 30 years ago.

No comments: