Tuesday, October 4, 2011

“Menos face más book”


“Menos face más book”
Tuesday October 3rd, 2011
By: Gina Yoryet Roman





Monday of last week I got this tinge of curiosity to reactivate my Facebook account so I did. The rapidness of accessing my profile once again was amazing, the fact that it could be done at the blink of an eye is a bit SCARRY for me since I’ve always been a very private person. The only thing that took me the longest to figure out was the email account and password I used so I emailed them and there it was.
When facebook and myspace were recently out and when hardly anybody had an account, I activated accounts but as soon as everyone started joining, it freaked me out, the thing about my whole life being out in the open for the world to see made me feel very anxious so I immediately deactivated them.

I know that I can set my settings to private and choose who to allow and who not to but the simple fact that all my contacts can see all my profile and what I post on my wall, really puts me on PANIC mode.
Sharing my life, my regular and more so personal moments is VERY exclusive. I ‘ve always been very selfish when it comes to my personal life and so I can count the people who know about those experiences with the palm of one hand.

The reason why I did that was because I wanted to recover my pictures that were lost when my computer crashed but I could NOT bear staying in the account for long.
I scanned my profile quickly and saw how everything was still intact.
Perhaps one of the reasons why I despise facebook was because of an uncomfortable experience I went through a few years ago, being pressured to make a few changes that I DID NOT agree with but I went along with. It was about making something very personal public.
Although I wasn’t hiding it, many times I much rather go incognito while I take my time until I am 100% positive that the coast is clear. People always question why this, what that and I really don’t like to explain myself over things that are not meant to be or much less that I don’t want to talk about.

That is one of the reasons why I love spending time alone and if people want to know more about me, “they can always Google me.” LOL!
Another reason is because it is not necessary to spend hours and hours there when we can use our time more productively, like promoting and increasing the reading rate in México since we are one of the lowest worlwide (if not the lowest).
In fact, I’ve always promoted reading, in every class that I teach, regardless of the subject, my students are required to read an extra book.

There’s this campaign slogan by Gandhi bookstore that came out earlier this year which says, “menos face, más book,” less face, more books – meaning, spend less time on facebook and more time reading. I love it!!

No comments: