Monday, June 20, 2011

The Road Not Taken

Monday June 20, 2011
“The Road Not Taken”
By: Gina Roman


This time I wanted to do things a little different as I am trying to break monotony. This summer my “to do” list is longer than ever and my number one on the list is to change things around a bit. So I took a break from writing every Sunday and so I’m doing it now that I just got back from the gym and my mind is more refreshed. I’m not dozing off in front of the computer and there’s so much to say that I could write a book at this moment as words just keep coming.

On Sunday June 12, my sisters told me that my ten year old niece and my 14 year old nephew were going camping to Southern California. My sisters were going through all these mixed emotions for letting their kids leave for ten days without them. They were preocupied but at the same time they were happy for them because they want to give them their space and more than anything, freedom and self-confidence which will teach them how to be responsable at such young age.
So the people at the church who put on the trip asked relatives; parents, grandparents aunts, uncles, friends, etc. To write a letter to the kids for each day to be spent there or one long letter in case they felt homesick or lonely as all the kids left without their parents. The people at the church are the ones reponsable for the kids (I don’t know how many adults there are).

They hit right on the target when they asked me to write and as soon as I hung up the phone, I went on and on writing to the kids which maybe they won’t get a full grip on since they are so young but I hope they keep those letters until they are adults and that those words dawn on them someday rather sooner than later and I also hope that they choose the “less traveled road."

The Road Not Taken
By: Robert Frost – 1920

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference....





June 12, 2011



E.R.,

When I was asked to write a letter to you my eyes felt with tears and my heart felt such warmth that I was speechless.

It is such joy and pride to see the young man you’ve grown into. I wish I were there to talk to you, to play a wrestling match or to see all the girls swooning over you and many more things.
I cannot express all the love I have for you as the handsome “muchacho,” young man you’ve become and the oldest cousin, the role model to all the little ones following you; Hayden, Saranna Jasmin, Hasseem, Alexander Brandis, Henry, Alexander William and Edward Maxwell.
It feels as if it were just yesterday when you were a baby and I could hold you in my arms, you were the cutest little thing, the chubbiest little one that brought so much contentment to our family since none of us wanted to take the lead and have a baby.

I could write a book telling you many things but I know that as a fourteen year old boy, you’d much rather spend your time doing a million things other than reading a “tedious and corny letter,” after all, letters are for girls huh?

All I can say, is that anything you set your mind, heart and soul to, it will be yours. Life can be a tough journey sometimes but it is the strongest who are able to accomplish success.
Follow your dreams and fight until the end leading an honest life because at the end of the day, it is “YOU” the ONLY one you’ll face and give account to.

ALWAYS lead a life of respect; treat others they way you would like to be treated, fight for your ideals, you decide whether or not to follow “bad influence.”
Think about you but think about others as well, as helping others is one of the most humbling and rewarding experiences in life.

I love you, we all love you; Lilly, Georgie (me), Tammy and Mandy your aunts and Suzy (your mother) will always be there for you so NEVER forget that.
And if you are ever in need to have “a man to man talk,” your uncles, HR1, HR2 and HR3 will be there to guide you.

Hugs

Aunt Georgie


June 12, 2011


SJJ, beautiful princess,


It is a pleasure to write a few words to you. You are the most beautiful girl in this planet, your mother and you are very fortunate to have one another.
It is the greatest pride to be aunt to the “only” beautiful princess in the family.

I don’t know how much you will be able to understand and most important, what you will be able to retain for the lifetime lying ahead of you.

I want you to know that it doesn’t matter how often we see each other, I will always love you so keep in mind that whenever you’re feeling lost and in despair, I will be just a phone call away.

I can tell you so many things but I know you’d much rather be jumping around with all the kids your age.

As you become a young woman you will encounter many obstacles and many good experiences but life is about NEVER giving up, not letting all those temporary setbacks defeat you; will they slow you down? Most definitely but let that dictate the honest human being you were meant to be.
Always push yourself to compete with your own self (and not with others) and strive for the best.
Lead a life full of knowledge, respect and honesty because nobody will ever take them away from you; they will be your faithful companions in your journey until the end of your existence.
NEVER let fear prevent you from doing a single thing you want to do in life as it is only an abstract idea.
NEVER let anyone (not even yourself) set limits; the world is in your hands, so step up and conquer it.
Be grateful to God and life for every day getting closer to accomplishing the woman you were meant to become.
Always have faith and hold on to God.
Understand that there will always be ups and downs in your journey so be thankful for the good and bad for the black and white; let go of the bad and hold on to the good; and most important, let those not so positive experiences teach you a lesson.

No comments: