Sunday, May 17, 2015

Faith overrides fear

FAITH OVERRIDES FEAR
& I am stronger than that
May 17, 2015
By: Gina Yoryet Roman

Eight days ago, Saturday a long-awaited day. Before May 9, 2015  barged in, dread, insecurity and unease invaded my mind, body, heart and soul. I had two choices, cancel the workshop, or proceed with it. Since February when I proposed the Practices and Theories of Spanish <> English Medical Translation/Interpretation to the Mexican Translator Association, I kept reprimanding myself, “What did I get myself into!?" My cajoling, negative and deceitful self kept grinding in these thoughts, “You will be better off calling off the training because you will fail, you are not a public speaker, you have always dreaded public speaking!”

Rather than canceling, I tackled my fears by spending a few moments in silence and prayer, as I have always believed that Silence Reveals the Answers, and Prayers Provide the Solution. I also confided my anxiety to my husband and we prayed together. After we hang up, I felt like I could conquer the world.

It was in those unobtrusive moments that I got a hold of myself and my confidence was restored. First and foremost, I prepared thoroughly, made sure I had enough material to make it interactive to keep my audience from drifting after sitting down for a number of hours. I used a very nice metaphor and the wisdom of quotes. Some of the attendees were taking photographs which indicated their contentment.

Before May 9, my fear towards public speaking had always ravaged and numbed me from setting challenges and reaching out to specific goals...until I stepped up and proved that I am stronger than my fright. That day was a landmark from Gina Yoryet to me. When I was in High School and college, I would find every possible excuse to get away with NOT doing speeches, I would always go incognito, I detested being the center of attention. The reasoning behind it was my upbringing which stirred an inexplicable and revolting uncertainty. People could see right through me and I was bullied and taken advantage of because of that. That was then, now it is a different story. I have worked arduously to build a spiritually, professionally, physically and emotionally resilient woman, it’s been a long process but I can finally see her very clearly when she looks back at me in the mirror. I do not hold on to pain like I did when I was younger. Amidst all of that, I ingrained in my mind that unfortunate events in life happen to everyone. Therefore, it is our sole duty to make the best of even the worst and focus on the good like Mirtha Michelle stated.

“There is beauty in tragedy. For tragedy has the power to motivate the human mind. It can turn weakness into strengths and become greatness. Why would you focus on the storm, when you can focus on the rainbow?”

And at last I can tell her, I am no longer afraid to overcome any adversity lying ahead. I am no longer terrified to set high standards of me and the people I surround myself with. It is the end of torture and oppression by life’s happenings. No more feeling afraid to tell the world that based upon those expectations, I liberated myself from conformity and found THE man I always longed for and reached all the long-sought accomplishments. All these hindrances have made me who I am and whatever hasn’t killed me, has made me stronger. Today I am in the mindset of Georgia O’keeffe

I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.”

Today I am at ease with all my accomplishments which have forged me into me the woman I have become because my faith has overridden my fear...

These are two of the quotes I  used in my presentation:

“I am the messenger, the one who takes your statements and brings them to life in an unknown language to you. I was trained to play with a game called words to best interpret and deliver your message. And that is exactly what I want to do because my interpretation can only be as inerrant as I am, and that´s always good to keep in mind.”
GYR

“The medical Translation artistry, (like any profession), is NOT simply a matter of skill acquisition. It involves a process of personal deconstruction (internal structures) and reconstruction in dealing with each client, individual and/or patient, case, prior medical history, needs, priorities and objectives. This means that I must constantly evaluate my personal values, motives, and goals and I must be willing to make any necessary positive changes in order to evolve as a professional and improve day by day in pursuance of delivering ethics, honesty, and transparency. I can become highly skilled and educated, but SANS a genuine desire to serve others, my career, one of my strongest professional sustenances, would eventually become an unbearable burden.  My goal is to genuinely be of assistance to others, entice them and persuade them to reach towards a better and more promising tomorrow to reach wholeness This is the effect of reciprocating - I am an important element in the medical field and I serve others through my skills. In exchange of that, I am at ease with myself professionally. Furthermore this reward propels me to strive for better.”

No comments: