Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Rising to the occasion

Rising to the occasion
No regrets or pity
March 3rd, 2015


I have never regarded myself as a ‘professional,’ that’s why when I am often asked for some good pointers in writing, I share them but I am always left with a susceptibility of skepticism, not because I tell them wrong, because deep down I am acting on each person’s best interest. It is all in my mind, it always was, it is now, and it will always be, that’s just my nature. Amidst all that reluctance, I retaliate to challenge and improve the feeble areas to suppress my dismay and uncertainties.

My writing adroitness (one of God´s´greatest gifts to me, which I am VERY grateful for) is based on a value that correlates with empathy, rapport, affinity, compatibility, agreement, encouragement, alliance, togetherness, compassion, esprit de corps, among others. This artistry is NOT simply a matter of skill acquisition. It involves a process of personal deconstruction (internal structures) and reconstruction in dealing with each individual, case, prior experience, needs, priorities and objectives. This means that I must constantly evaluate my personal values, motives, and goals and I must be willing to make any necessary positive changes. I can become highly skilled and educated, but SANS a genuine desire to serve others, my career, one of my strongest emotional sustenances, would eventually become an unbearable burden.  My goal is to genuinely serve others, entice them and persuade them to reach towards a better and more promising tomorrow.

Today, my expertise was put at stake when someone assured that I was incompetent, irresponsible, unprepared, lacked experience, and I didn´t meet the professional profile she had sought for. When I heard this woman´s unfair reclamation over the phone, (she doesn’t know me) my first reaction was anger, it later turned into frustration, then it became hurt. Emotional hurt because I felt like an incompetent idiot. I couldn´t take hearing her spit out her acrimony any longer so I ran out, straight to meet with a friend to vent out.

And I did. Now that the end of the day is drawing nearer, I am more at ease with myself. I have concluded that there aren´t any internal regrets or pity with my career choice. I predestined my job based on one of my passions, and so be it as far as I can ever go. That´s why I have risen to the occasion, decided to take this experience as ‘feedback,’ (in spite of the temporary emotional hurt) and pondered upon how to plan, strategize and deliver my message better to avoid this type of incidents in the future.

No comments: