Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Running is Elemental

Running is Elemental
April 24, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


 It had been almost three years since I stopped running, that fatal wreck in June 15, 2009 (it wasn’t my fault) put me off running for good. My cartilage was worn after doing hard core long distance competition for a little over eleven years and Track & Field for three years but I, as the stubborn woman I am, continued running despite my pain.

 Not only did I neglect to go to therapy for faster recovery but I kept on running for another couple of weeks after that until
my knee couldn’t bear the pain any longer… Instead of going to physical therapy to treat my injury I sought the help of a psychologist to help me deal with not being able to even do a five minute indoor or outdoor jog. Shutting completely down and withdrawing to avoid listening to my mind and body have always been the “fastest” and most “practical” momentary solutions which are the main factors to have stirred that intense ache.

We sooner or later find out that wrong decision making always makes us pay the consequences and so I did. Needless to say more, running had to be regarded as a far away mirage that would never again be real. I don’t exactly recall how many psychological sessions it took me to see the light at the end of the tunnel, suck it in and finally say, “Ok, there is actually life after running,” conform with what my body can do and get more creative. Now, some may say, “It’s really no big deal!” but for any high rendering athlete, it is as though a part of you is mutilated. In the midst of those dark moments I’ve done brisk walking, rowing lessons, cross training, calisthenics, spinning and cross fit (swimming, yoga for runners the RX 7 workout, Bikram yoga,
Capoeira and aquatic taichi are on the waiting list).

 I skipped the gym during the holidays and so long after that pause, I started integrating running slowly once again. I have to confess that there have been many moments when I want to grab a remote control and flip the channel when pain betrays me, in order to sprint, do surges or just do high intensity interval workouts but then I get a hold of myself and enjoy the twice a week short distance jogs I’ve been doing as of ten days ago. I am happy to say that there was very little pain or no pain at all most of those days, except for one particular day when I ran on pavement; my knee was throbbing and I was so out of breath that I almost spit my heart right out.

 I kept telling my partner in crime (my younger sister who was visiting through Easter break) that my speed and endurance have been completely lost, plus I no longer know how to control my breathing. Of course she wouldn’t discourage me so she told me, “Look Yoryet, give yourself some credit, it’s not only been more than ten years since we started competing, we are more than ten years older. You should be grateful instead because regardless of our overwhelming agendas, we will always squeeze in time to go break a sweat at the gym or do something!” My temple doesn’t perform the same way it did when I was 20 but I keep trying. One good example are my legs; they are A LOT weaker than three years ago, I can only lift about 270 pounds max, as opposed to the 360-450 pounds that I did before.

BUT now I can now do many scorpion, military and all kinds of push-ups unlike before that I was unable to do a single one. So I will do my best NOT to underestimate my body and accept the ups and downs of aging and one day when/if I reach 80 or 90, I want to be like the 86 year old professional German gymnast. WOOOOOW! And to conclude my legacy, if I have children some day, they will be named, Miles, Chase, Victoria and Esperanza, (I don’t want to have that many, yikes!)

 I was gifted this beautiful T-shirt (my sister gave it to me) with the table of elements that lifted my spirit.

 It goes like this:
 “Running is elemental”
 1 ) Fl = Flight
 3) Wi = Will
 4) Es = Escape
 7) Jo = Joy
 8) Gu = Guts
 9) Hy = Hydration
 10) Pe = Peace
 11) Mo = Mojo
 12) Rn = Rain
 13) Sh = Shine
 14) Fi = Finish

No comments: