Friday, March 16, 2012

Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis
March 16, 2012
By: Gina Yoryet Román


“It is not negotiable, nor is it relative, but absolute.”
“Semper Fidelis” is more than a fancy slogan. It is truly a way of life. "Always faithful." It isn't "Sometimes Faithful." Nor is it "Usually Faithful.

“Semper Fidelis,” were the last words always said to me after an all night phone conversation with my High School BFF (best friend for life) while he was in the Marines and the seal enclosing the piles of letters I saved forever.

When M. L. A. repeated those two words time after time, I started vocalizing them in my mind and they were engraved in my soul until it was shattered and we soon parted forever due to unexpected and uncontrollable circumstances, not because he did me wrong. I thought that entire “Semper Fidelis” thing was a false illusion shaped in my deceitful mind. I was convinced that he had betrayed our friendship and he had failed to live by his own principle, to always be faithful to our friendship bond.

Those words were locked deep inside and many years later I reopened the window to the opportunity to meet and trust other people which made me gain new friends. Sometimes life holds unwanted happenings that are out of our means so I forewent that disappointing experience with my first best friend.

All of those memories are now buried somewhere in my heart and sometimes I long for a conversation to hear about what he did with his life, what a good father he became and all the accomplishments he has achieved. and I would certainly love to tell him about me and when I meet the man of my dreams, I want them to meet.

Wherever he is, I will always pray for his well being and wish that he still remembers the doctrine to always be faithful...

No comments: