Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Reflexiones

Reflexiones

"The more I think, the more amazed I get and realize how much knowledge I lack of my own culture. As I manifest my thoughts on paper, I watch as my fingers grip, staring at the pen moving upon the paper-...I am amazed as I observe, the way the ink creates a word, the way the word creates a meaning and the way the meaning creates a purpose and the way the purpose creates an action ...and how the Action creates a Destiny." Not long ago, I sat down and pondered on what my purpose in this life was and what destiny holds for me. How God allows all the pieces in the puzzle to come together in each human being's life. A long time went by before I learned the reason behind my being here until a few months ago, all I was aware of was that I had a strong desire to learn more and do something with the knowledge I'd gain from living in Guadalajara. I knew all along that I came here for a reason, I just had to dig that reason from the rubble in my mind and heart since it was buried deep down. When I chatted with Shayne (my blog partner) I realized that we shared the same thoughts, same desires, to help people who come visit or live here, even help the natives. Why not teach everyone who wants to learn; students, retirees, tourists and the entire world about what Guadalajara has to offer? Why not tell them about our own experiences? about the food and culture? Why not tell them that many times things will not necessarily be what they had expected? Why not tell them to learn to appreciate each and every aspect of it? Why not walk them through the insightful experience of living here? Why not teach them to change their mindset about the not so "good" experiences?" Why not tell them that they have to bare in mind that living in Mexico is like living in a completely different world? Why not orient them and tell them about volunteer work? How we can change many peoples' lives by spending time with them? Doing this helps me identify and blend in more with my own culture and background. As a Mexican-American I have the advantage of living in two beautiful worlds, in having two different perspectives, in thinking in both languages and more important, to know how magical and beautiful it is to appreciate both sides of the coin. Earlier this week I visited "Acortar Distancias" http://www.acortardistancias.org/ It is an organization supported by the government which was created about 11 years ago. It was built in one of many extremely low-income areas in the outskirts of the city. The purpose of it is to get young adults and children out of the streets and teach them to use their time productively. All of these children come from illiterate parents who have to work long hours for menial salaries leaving them without any time to spend with their children and much less to educate them. One of the many wonders of this organization is that they support the mothers/women to join their children by providing childcare so they don't make up any excuses to not attend. Having been involved in charity work for many years, I know for a fact that many people visit all those unfortunate countries to do volunteer work so I encourage everyone to visit "Acortar Distancias" and make a difference in peoples' lives. Acortar Distancias among many other reasons is what makes me want to be in Guadalajara because it is such an enriching experience. God bless!

1 comment:

Hugo DueƱas said...

I think Mexico has a lot of things to show to the world, its culture, its languaje, its food, its traditions, etc.
But most of the people living here don't care about those things, our culture is dissapearing slowly, and the only thing people do is take cultures from other countries or take the culture of the consumism.